When employees hear they have to go through a safety training, many will spend the time daydreaming about other parts of their lives. Here are several ways to keep your employees engaged during training.
- Consider Employee Input for Topics. If there are a variety of topics you could possibly cover, consider asking your employees their interest level on each topic. By presenting on a topic they are interested in from the beginning, they’re more likely to absorb the information.
- Make It Interactive. Whether you utilize hands on learning, gamification, polls or activities, find ways to make the training more than just a presentation by including interactive ways to keep their minds stimulated as you present.
- It Doesn’t Have to Be Dry! While safety is a serious topic, you can still work a joke or two into your presentation to keep the mood light.
- Minimize Distractions. Ask employees to leave their phones tucked away for the duration of the training so their attention can be focused on the the important content you’re delivering.
- Make It Relevant. Talking about examples closer to home will help people understand this is happening right in their backyard and encourage them to take action when appropriate.
- Offer Free Food. If in the budget, everyone loves a good donut or slice of pizza on a Friday! This is also a great way to encourage attendance.
- Incorporate Safety & Trainings as Part of Your Company Culture. If employees come into work every day knowing that Safety and Trainings/Life-Long Learning are a part of your culture, they’ll be more open to routinely participating in trainings to further their own development and growth.
If you are ready to find a safety trainer to educate your employees, get started today with YellowBird.